Friday, August 29, 2008

Enigma Box

The enigma box seems sorta complicated. First of all it is a black rectangular prism with two holes in the top. One of the holes is small and the while the other is large. The large hole is where the water was poured into. On the bottom of the box there is a tube that the water drains. Mrs. Casey started by pouring water through the big hole on the top. Nothing came out till she poured 450 milliliter. Then all the water came out till no more was left in the box.

I think the enigma box has a very unique inside. I believe the water that is poured in is stored in the bottom section of the box where the water collects and fills up the box. Well there is a tube in the box and that's the tube that you see sticking out of the box. So when the water finally fills up to where the water can go through the entire tube it comes out and doesn't stop till all the water is out. I can't think of something that it would compare to in the world though but i know that it is possible to make one.

There are 5 skills that scientists use. The first is observing where you use one or more of your senses to gather information. Next is inferring and that is explaining or interpreting what you observe. Then there is predicting and that is making a forecast of what will happen based on previous knowledge. The fourth is classifying which is the process of grouping together ideas by similarities they share. Lastly , is making models and it deals with creating representations of complex objects or processes. During the enigma box we used pretty much every skill. We observed the box at first to try and figure out how it worked. Then we inferred and predicting by making our guess of what was happening inside the box. Using the skill of classifying and making models wasn't a part of this experiment but is helpful in many others. Mrs. Casey made and model that also helped us understand it but we didn't make one.

After seeing the enigma box we were all excited to know the secret of how it works. When we finally learned it i was pretty close in my prediction to what really happens. The enigma box really isn't complicated at all. This is how it works. The water is poured into the box and fills up. There is also i tube that does a loop inside of the box. As the box gets filled so does the tube so then once the water gets to the top of the loop the water starts flowing out of the tube. Most People think that only some of the water would come out but because of the air pressure coming in of the hole that the water came from it all comes out and doesn't stop till all is. This enigma experiment was very interesting and challenging to find an answer.

3 comments:

Raine's School Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raine's School Blog said...

Hey Ashely, after comparing our Enigma Box posts I found several similarities and differences. Before Mrs. Casey showed us how the box really worked we both found it complicated. I thought it was complicated because I did not understand the inside of the box. You stated its complexity in your in your introduction sentence. We differed in the fact that I said we used the scientific skill, making models. I said we used it when we drew the inside and outside of the box. You, on the other hand disagreed.

I was very impressed with how close your prediction of what the inside of the Enigma Box looked was to the actual thing. You said the box had a long tube throughout the box which filled as the water level rose and emptied using pressure. That is exactly what happened. I cant help but wonder hoe you did that. :) I think you did a wonderful job on the Enigma Box post!

My New Zealand Adventure said...

Ashely really good job I LOVED it!!!! good job